In a message dated 1/6/2001 6:15:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
LISTSERV@= GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

List member insight on valu= e of '87 Westfalia

      Justin, I've had my '87 GL Westy fo= r nearly seven years now and it has
been great.  It's a good year a= nd one of the most prolific if you do some
checking around.  I reme= mber when List stats used to be kept and posted once
a week that the '87= Westy was always the leader in numerbers on the List.
The later y= ears, VW changed to the more stylistic plastic bumpers and trim
which ma= y look nice but if you damage that stuff you will be spending big
bucks = to repair it.  The one your looking at sure sounds like a good example.=
 The rust situation is the most important aspect.  The least = rust present the
better for you.  Just look after it and keep the r= ust at bay.  The mechanical
stuff is just a matter of dollars paid = out at the buy.  If you intend on
using and keeping this vehicle fo= r any extended period of time then you will
have to deal with mechanical= repairs.  That's where this List come in,
letting you know the mos= t economical way to repair these things.  They are
gonna leak, they= are gonna use up CV joints, they are gonna need sensor
replacement, the= y will need exhaust system replacement (look into the
STEBRO/Vanagon Stainless Steel Exhaust Sys= tem
for that Vanagon as an option)
(shameless plug for my business) = and many, many more items.  Just make sure
you get as least rust as= possible and a correct dollar buy in for the current
mechanical situati= on then enjoy Vanagon ownership along with the rest of us.

Happy New Year

Frank Condelli
Almonte, Ontario, Canada
'87 Westy & Lionel Trains
Member: Vanagon List, LiMBO, IWCCC & Capital City VW Club
Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley
STEBRO/Vanagon Stain= less Steel Mufflers
Frank Condelli &a= mp; Associates or http://frankcondelli.com