Listers,

This is my first post. I have a 85 1.9l = Vanagon with some engine difficulty. It's a long story for another day. Short = version is I want to rebuild or replace the engine. I don't want to spend = $4k on a South Africa conversion, or even a $2k rebuilt from GEX. Just cheap = I guess.

What alternatives remain? I have the = Bentley manual and do all my repairs, but don't have access to the part numbers, nor = the aftermarket vendors.

Are there rebuild kits for shadetree = mechanics? I would like to rebuild the engine with my son.

Any thoughts, opinions, or great ideas?

Craig