I need some advice for my sister who has a 98 Golf III.  The car has 40k
miles on it and has been regularly serviced by the dealer and myself (oil
changes in between the dealer recommended 10k oil change interval).  Anyway
she took it in for the 40k checkup and the dealer hit them hard.  $250 just
to inspect the car and see what it needed done to it.  Then another $500 for
front brake rotors and pads, changing the spark plugs (at only 40k miles?),
flushing and refilling the brake fluid (?) and changing her belts.

So she called me and is having me do the work to save some money.  However
she wants to know if the guy is right about changing the brake fluid.  He
told her that it was getting dark and that VW's normal change interval was
40k miles.  Now I thought that all the new cars use the silicon stuff that is
supposed to never go bad (or have a much longer life than the old style break
fluid because it doesn't absorb water as easily).  I have no experience with
the new break fluid.  Is this guy right?  Does it need to be changed already?
 Anyone have any experience with this stuff?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ken Wilford
John 3:16
www.vanagain.com