In a message dated 1/12/2001 6:26:28 PM Eastern Standard Time,
LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

Canoe Carrying = on Westy

      Steve, get one of those big diamete= r pool noodles, cut it in half, put
one half just behind the luggage compartment and the other near the end = of
the pop top.  Also if you put a length of 2" ABS pipe at the front = edge of
the luggage compartment tie wrapped to the three hooks at the edge of th= e
luggage compartment so that the pie spans the luggage compartment and is= just
to the rear of the front edge you will be able to use this pipe to rest = the
canoe on and then push-slide the canoe up onto the roof by yourself from= the
front of your Vanagon.  Once it gets to the point that it must go d= own on the
roof just make sure the rear most pool noodle piece is there to receive = the
canoe.  Once the canoe is positioned equally front to rear just tie= to the
front and rear bumpers or under the van.  I use a long tie down thr= ough the
two tow hooks at the rear and a quick-ratchet rope tie down with S hooks= at
either end to hook onto the frame members under the front.  This me= thod give
an upside down V attachment front and rear which is best for side to sid= e
stability.  I also put another length of 3" ABS pipe at the rear of= the
luggage compartment tie wrapped to the three rear hooks with the pool no= odle
piece just the rear of this piece of ABS pipe.  The pool noodle I f= ound was
4" in diameter I think anyway it was larger than the piece of ABS so the=
canoe ends up resting on the pool noodle not the ABS. The ABS pipes are = just
there to aid in push sliding the canoe up on the roof so as not to damag= e the
roof, luggage rack or the canoe.

Happy New Year

Frank Condelli
Almonte, Ontario, Canada
'87 Westy & Lionel Trains
Member: Vanagon List, LiMBO, IWCCC & Capital City VW Club
Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley
STEBRO/Vanagon Stain= less Steel Mufflers
Frank Condelli &a= mp; Associates or http://frankcondelli.com