From: John Cooper
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM =
Sent: Saturday, January 13, = 2001 1:00 AM
Subject: OIL PRESSURE = LIGHT/ALARM

I have an = 87 Synchro Westy with 153,000 miles on it.  I was told the heads
had = been reworked at about 120,000.  I started getting an oil pressure = alarm
below 3100 rpm after the engine has warmed up.  I replaced = both oil pressure
sensors, and just finished replacing the oil pump with a = high volume pump
from Bus Depot.  I still got the alarm after then = engine warmed up.  Bummer.

A mechanic friend of mine says that = my main bearings are probably worn to the
point that there is too much = clearance.  About ten years ago I rebuilt a bug
engine.  I remember = having to have the case line bored.  Of course, this
required OD = bearigs.  Is this common with the 2.1 Wasserboxer?  Has anyone =
out there replaced the main and camshaft bearings without having to rebore =
the case?

If I do decide to rebuild, what other pitfalls should I = look out for?

Maybe now is the time to look for that Subaru engine. =