Make sure you have the correct sensors. The sensor by the oil pump should be = a .9 bar. This often gets confused as even some of the Microfiches show a 1.8 = bar sensor. Another problem can be corrosion in the wire connections or a = bad wire to the sensor. Check these carefully. I've seen people change engines = for no reason. Last thing would be to check the oil pressure with a gauge. = Should be able to obtain ~10 psi/1000 RPM. Slightly less if the engine is hot.

Dennis

-----Original Message-----
From: Vanagon Mailing = List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf Of John Cooper
Sent: Saturday, January 13, 2001 2:01 = AM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: OIL PRESSURE LIGHT/ALARM

I have an 87 Synchro Westy with 153,000 miles on it.  I was told the = heads
had been reworked at about 120,000.  I started getting an oil = pressure alarm
below 3100 rpm after the engine has warmed up. =  I replaced both oil pressure
sensors, and just finished replacing = the oil pump with a high volume pump
from Bus Depot.  I still got the = alarm after then engine warmed up.  Bummer.

A mechanic friend = of mine says that my main bearings are probably worn to the
point that = there is too much clearance.  About ten years ago I rebuilt a bug =
engine.  I remember having to have the case line bored.  Of course, = this
required OD bearigs.  Is this common with the 2.1 = Wasserboxer?  Has anyone
out there replaced the main and camshaft bearings = without having to rebore
the case?

If I do decide to = rebuild, what other pitfalls should I look out for?

Maybe now is the time to = look for that Subaru engine. =