-----Original = Message-----
From: John Andrew <johna@telluridecolorado.net>
To: Vanagon List <
vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM&g= t;
Date: Saturday, January 13, 2001 2:16 PM
Subject: Back from = checking out 1986 Westy GL with Buick!

Hi,

Back from my encounter with the = Buick Westy Syncro GL.  Got 14" of fresh snow to drive it in.  No = locking differential was a dissapointment.  Anyways, the engine sure does = pack a punch!  You have to be light on the pedal or your burning rubber or = at least spinning on an icy road.  It is a carbureted 3.8 rebuilt = Buick 6 cylinder attached with a kennedy plate.  It has 200K on the = body.  7K on the rebuilt engine.  It sure sounds strange to hear that throaty = sound coming out of the VW van.  The exhaust comes out from under the van = about 2/3 of the way back from the front.  He has a tach mounted on the = dash so you know when to shift.  Really quiet when you are driving  = the van.  Vibration is almost non-existent.  Everythig looks easy = to work on.  This guy is the original owner .  Third engine he has had = in it.  Put the buick in so he could tow his Harley.  Waterboxer = lasted about 120K.  Put a chevy in which lasted about 80K.  Now its = the Buick.  He bought a slide in for his pick-up so now he is selling = this beast.  My feeling is this engine is too much for the drive train. = Will th tranny and differential take the power even if you baby = it?
 He had the brakes and drive = train gone thru at the same time he did the latest conversion.  Bigger = radiator installed as well.  The body and camping gear is all in great = shape. All screens, tables, manuals, and the removable seat are there. New tires = and air shocks. No dents and the paints great. But is 200k too much for a = syncro?  How do you tell if the viscous coupling is sound?  Wait for an = unconverted model?  Whats your guesses on what it is worth?  I have first = refusal until I talk to the shop that has done a lot of the work. I am open to = everyones opinion.  Anybody have one like it?

Thanks to everyone for their advice = so far!

John Andrew 1984 Westy