Back from my encounter with the = Buick Westy Syncro GL.  Got 14" of fresh snow to drive it in.  No = locking differential was a dissapointment.  Anyways, the engine sure does = pack a punch!  You have to be light on the pedal or your burning rubber = or at least spinning on an icy road.  It is a carbureted 3.8 rebuilt = Buick 6 cylinder attached with a kennedy plate.  It has 200K on the = body.  7K on the rebuilt engine.  It sure sounds strange to hear that = throaty sound coming out of the VW van.  The exhaust comes out from under = the van about 2/3 of the way back from the front.  He has a tach mounted = on the dash so you know when to shift.  Really quiet when you are = driving  the van.  Vibration is almost non-existent.  Everythig looks = easy to work on.  This guy is the original owner .  Third engine he = has had in it.  Put the buick in so he could tow his Harley.  = Waterboxer lasted about 120K.  Put a chevy in which lasted about 80K.  = Now its the Buick.  He bought a slide in for his pick-up so now he is = selling this beast.  My feeling is this engine is too much for the drive = train. Will th tranny and differential take the power even if you baby it?

Not if you use the extra = power... would have to have a lot of self control to drive it like a waterboxer! ... unlikely!

 He had the brakes and drive = train gone thru at the same time he did the latest conversion.

what does it = mean 'drive train gone thru'?

  Bigger radiator installed = as well.  The body and camping gear is all in great shape. All = screens, tables, manuals, and the removable seat are there. New tires and air = shocks. No dents and the paints great. But is 200k too much for a = syncro?  How do you tell if the viscous coupling is sound?

If it's the original viscous = coupling it's a gonner long ago... they only last about 100k... ditto the drive = shaft/ u-joints

Wait for an unconverted = model?  Whats your guesses on what it is worth?

Less than if = it had a rebuilt boxer in it... transplants are more often than not a pain... expecially an off breed like this one... my opinion only....

Bill

I have first refusal until I talk = to the shop that has done a lot of the work. I am open to everyones opinion.  = Anybody have one like it?

Thanks to everyone for their = advice so far!

John Andrew 1984 Westy