Malcom, thanks for sending us this trip report.  Now you know how the
Children of Israel felt wandering in the wilderness :)

One thing I wanted to ask you about.  I saw a picture of sticker from an old
Beetle that was shipped into the area where you are now.  This sticker was in
the engine compartment and said, "In dusty conditions change oil daily".
These cars actually had a similar oil bath air filter to what you have (I am
sure yours is nicer).  Do you think that the dusty conditions could be
contaminating your oil?  Have you changed it since then and noticed a heavier
than normal filter?  Just wondering.

Thanks,
Ken Wilford
Van-Again