From: BenTbtstr8@aol.com
To: seadog@lmf.net ; vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com =
Sent: Tuesday, January 09, 2001 = 8:58 PM
Subject: Re: Trim Levels

In a message dated 1/9/01 5:20:35 PM Pacific Standard = Time, seadog@LMF.NET =
writes:

<< Anybody know where I can get an overall description of trim levels for
 Vanagons.  Also... I was under the impression that = they had a level of trim
that
 constituted a "day = camper"???...Westy minus the pop-up I think.  Once I saw
 a Wolfsburg edition with = a lay down rear seat arrangement and I believe... a
 built in Ice Chest/Refer.
 Sound familiar to anyone?
 Please let me = know abt. the trim level nomenclature as well. = >>

Greg,

The model you are describing sounds to me like the Wolfsburg Edition
Weekender. People often times get confused with that "Weekender"
nomenclature. Some people mistake the GL vans (which have rear = seats that
fold into a bed) as Weekenders. The true Weekender HAS a poptop = but not the
stove and such that is associated with the full campers. There = was an
optional removable icechest-style fridge which can operate on 12DC = or 110AC.
The rear seat folds into a bed but is narrower than the GL = folding bench.
There is a narrow closet to the rear similar to the = full-Westy Campers. There
is also a folding side table integrated into the = side wall (equipped with
folding cupholders). There is a a single rear = facing non-removable seat with
storage underneath just behind the = driver's seat. The removable fridge
resides just behind the front passenger seat.

The later model Carats were similarly equipped IIRC. =

I have a GL van which I consider to be a "day camper". No poptop but has = the
folding rear bench/bed. I add the removable fridge whenever I need = it.
Perhaps that is all you need.

If you definitely want a = Weekender, I know there is an 85 going up for sale
at a local VW shop near me = for $4500.

BenT
San Francisco