From: Vanagon Mailing = List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf Of Jason Stevenson
Sent: January 20, 2001 6:25 AM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: Wierd Electrical Gremlins

Please help!
I have a 1984 Vanagon, and I had a = really strange thing happen on my way home from work yesterday.  I went around a = corner near my house, and was accellerating up the hill, when, suddenly, ALL = of my electrics went dead (even the radio, which isn't on the ignition circuit).  Naturally, this killed the spark to the engine as = well, so I coasted to a stop at the side of the road.  I turned the key off, = waited a few seconds, then tried to start it.  The electrics came back = on, and the engine tried to crank, but wouldn't.  I then got out, went to = the back, and looked over the engine compartment to see if anything looked = amiss.  It didn't.  I then went back up, and tried to = restart it.  After a few tries, it fired right up, and motored the rest = of the way home with no problems whatsoever.
My question is this:  what = should I be looking for, and where should I start to try to diagnose this?  = Has anyone else on the list had this happen?  I would almost suspect = a problem with the battery or ignition switch, but I may be on the = totally wrong track there.
I would appreciate any advice anyone = on the list could give me.  Thanks in advance.

-Jason Stevenson