Well grasshopper, sounds like you grew up.  = Maybe he did, too.  To get angry at something that was his own error is human, = and common, and not right.

Good luck,

mike
----- Original Message -----
From: Thomas = Bartnicki
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Tuesday, January 16, 2001 = 7:04 PM
Subject: Re: 85 Vanagon = Purchase....( horst Fischer story... more like a novel)

Hey Karl,

Thanks for the info and letting me know that there are people in = DE with interests.
It's funny U ask about Horst Fischer , because I was just telling = a friend of mine today about him. I worked at his shop on Old Capital = Trail about 7 or 8 years ago for about 3 months (i think) . I am very = mechanically inclined and I saw his ad in the News Journal for a mechanic or = trainee. I kind of had long hair, so I put a cap on, tied it back, and tucked it = under my shirt. I went in there, talked to his wife (who does the books), then = talked to Horst. The first words out of his mouth were, "So you want to turn wrenches....."  Classic.  Spoke with him for like 5 minutes = and he hired me on the spot.

 Anyway, I definitely have the skills to work on = autos, but didn't have any work related references or ASE. It was my = first "real" job in the automotive field. That guy IS the most knowledgeable = person I have every met when it comes to cars. Especially = Volkswagen.

He is a Volkswagon Master Mechanic from Volkswagon in = Germany. He use to race Beetles on a circle track circuit   = ("run the circles" as he would say)   back in Germany when he was = younger. So, I was hired in with no experience as a "Trainee" and was = pretty much the grunt... oil changes... maybe brakes...more oil changes... = gopher for sub-jobs.. and so on. It took a while before he would trust me to do = things on my own (faster pace). He let me use his tools, taught me allot about = the VW's. And in a matter of 3 months, I quit.

He was hard to get along with because its his shop and I was = still cocky. (plus he's straight from the German old-school of mechanics.. = they teach them moral over everything." German products are = superior...",
 which they are)

He was a really good teacher and the work environment was like a = family (because he was always yelling at me) lol.. He gave me hands the on = experience on the air cooled by engine removals and tear downs.( I filed a set of = heater boxes with a file by hand until it met Horst approval. about 3 = hours)

 Don't get me wrong.. He's a good man and the best mechanic = ( in my opinion) around. So, I learned allot from him and the other guys at = the shop (there was a Jason and i forget the other guy name but he's probably = still there.. drove a mustang) ANYWAY, I got to work on Beetles , Vanagons, = the crappy Audi 5000's, A VW Thing.. karma's... I was in heaven. =

Things turned sour when he gave me an Audi that was in for a = coolant leak in the radiator. He gave me the keys and I went out there, wrote the = sheet up , and popped the hood. No leaks under, no antifreeze markings on the = rad itself. So I drove it into the bay and told him there was nothing = wrong with it. He just started screaming at me... kinda dumping on me, saying = stuff like " you walk around like its a country club around here... " so i was = pissed because i knew that the car was fine and I kept telling him = (as he yelled) ...

he came over to my area, took over, started yelling at me to get = tools (Degrading), called me a pollack,(my last name is Bartnicki) and = in the middle of pumping up the radiator with a pressure tester,  his = hand slipped and gouged his finger.(bloody)  Then he REALLY got mad. = Stormed away. I was so upset.. the other guys wouldn't look over,just kept = working. I went home numb. Woke up angry.. packed all of my uniforms on the back = of my motorcycle. Went to work.

It was Friday, i walked in and he just ignored me.. wasn't = angry.. just ignored me. I was quitting and i really didn't want too. Lunch time = came around. i got on my bike... and never went back... I later learned = (after I already quit!!!)from Jason(the younger mechanic) that he gave me the = wrong car.. there was another Audi same color/model/year .. in the = lot.

Things I did to piss him off:
1 turfed the gravel in the lot
2 left one of his screwdrivers inside of a rail on a jetta..then = test drove it
( he later found it on the road and yelled)
3 almost flattened 2 tires on a car backing out of a bay
(left the arms of the lift out)  he yelled

Things I learned from him:
1 VW's Audi Volvo Mercedes experience
2  the value of OEM parts (theres a reason why there so expensive)
3 Diesel fuel injection timing
4 How to do a complete clutch job in 20 minutes
5 Boxer engines ( never had any experience with them before = that)
6 honest work gets honest pay (gave me 4 raises in 3 = months.... see how stupid i was)
and so on...

But the most important thing i learned was the German Engineering = is art and the BEST IN THE WORLD. You really see what the engineers were = thinking when they designed these cars when you actually got to work = on them. REMARKABLE.. I took pride in that job and i still =  really miss it.

Anyway, SORRY for the novel!!! i got caught up on this earlier = and been regurgitating it all day. I think about that job all the time and = wish i never quit. I was young and very stupid. And I'm pretty sure I = burnt my bridges with Horst ...BUT If you go back there anytime = soon........

Ask if he remembers Tom Bartnicki from 7 years ago. I had a red = 74 Nova and a white/blue Honda motorcycle. Tell him I bought a 85 Vanagon and = a 1990 Nissan 300zx twin turbo (350+hp) and that I really want my job = back!! I bought my own tools and cabinet (he gave me a raise just to by one) seriously!
I've grown up and STILL miss that place. The cleanest shop and = the MOST knowledgeable AND honest  teacher out there. HORST = RULES!

later,
tom
Wilmington,DE