Thanks to everyone who responded = concerning my request for help with the water heater.  I took the heater out and = put it under about 15 pounds of pressure.  To my surprise, no leak could = be detected.  I am going to try new clamps and maybe replace some hoses.  The leak may occur only when the metal heats up with = hot water.  I bought enough hose to connect the heater and put it = in the middle of the floor if all else fails.  Then I can see what is happening.  I hope to work on the two problems again this weekend.  Will keep you posted.