In a message dated 1/23/01 7:13:38 AM Eastern Standard Time,
planetp@earthling.net writes:

 Could you help me with the paint color code for my particular vehicle?
It's an '89 Wolfsburg GL with a Blue sort of metallic exterior.  I'm not
sure how to get the paint code from the VIN or if that is where it comes
from.  Your words of wisdom are appreciated.

if you have a later passenger van or westy,
look under your driver side of your dash, in fuse box area, for big white
sticker.  on that sticker, there will be, halfway down "Lackstrif No."  which
is german for "Paint code"   should start with the letter "L" and be
something like "LY5V" for example, wich is sapphire metallic (not your color,
just an example)

if you have an earlier passenger van or westy, the paint code might be under
the drivers seat or in the drivers side batt box.  even some of the 80-84
vans actually had the paint color and code spelled out on a seperate sticker,
under the drivers seat or batt box.

and FYI, just about all vanagon colors are still avail from dealer in little
touch up tubes or spray cans.
chris