Great list.  Your advice (and = patience with my first post) please:

I'm now the proud owner of an '86 = Westy, bought from a guy who'll remain anonymous.  He lives 950 miles away and I = drove that newly purchased van all the way back to my home in St. Louis = fighting coolant overflows and the blinking red light.

Before I bought it, PO did flush and = fill, then later a radiator replacement.  He worried that not all the air was = out yet and advised I stop and "burp" the expansion tank if the blinking light = showed low coolant.

The engine ran (still runs) great, = plenty of power.  But after only a few miles, she spit a lot of coolant out = of the fill (license plate) tank.  (I trailed a nice steam cloud as it hit = the muffler).  Following PO's advice, I would "burp" the expansion = (with pressure cap) tank.  Lots of "air" would come out.  This went = on for many, many miles:  coolant overflow and/or blinking red light, find = a place to stop, "burp" tank, sometimes add coolant.  The intermittently overflowing fill tank would leave a nice mist of coolant on the back = window at interstate speeds.

Maybe you are laughing now.  At = about mile 600, I realized that "burping" the expansion tank of a hot engine was = just flashing a lot of the coolant to steam (as it went from 14psi or = whatever to zero) and the "bad air" I was letting out was steam and that I was = probably forming steam voids elsewhere in the system as well.  Very stupid = of me.  If anything, stopping every 15 miles to make the problem = worse.  Perhaps I define "knowing enough to be dangerous."

Engine runs great still, but now I get = intermittent white smoke from the tailpipe and water dripping from it.  Even = after I stoped my dumb "hot burping," still got a lot of air coming out of the = expansion tank (replaced the pressure cap about halfway through the trip, hoping = that was the problem).  Evidenced by a train of little bubbles entering the = fill tank when the engine was hot.

I am fearing that my = hot-engine-burping, or maybe the flush and fill or radiator replacement led to overheating and a bad = head gasket.  I believe the PO's statement that the recently redone = heads were fine before.  I checked the temp gage every 10 seconds, I swear, = and it never got over 3/4 scale (stopping, slowing) and usually (on the = highway) sat right over the little light.

Something I learned that may help = you:  The low coolant light is a "latch" circuit:  It stays on until the = ignition is cycled off no matter what--I could often just pull over, turn off the = ignition, restart, and no blinking light.  I attributed these transients to = steam slowly venting out of the expansion tank (that little valve is very small).

Please advise:  Have I fried a = head gasket?  How can I tell if combustion gases are getting into the = coolant and forcing it out?  I checked the archives:  Nobody has = warned of "hot burping."  Is it so obvious (or am I that dumb)?  Can = these engines really run so well when blowing/sucking coolant into/out of the cylinders?!

BTW, I'm not looking to blame the PO or = anybody but myself.  Just looking for advice on cause/diagnosis, and perhaps to = warn others.  Feel free to highlight, make fun of, or discuss in detail = my ignorance.

Thanks,

Steve Gough

'86 Westy
gone but not forgotten:  '69, '72 Beetles