In a message dated 1/24/01 4:35:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET writes:

Just a thought.

Is it possible that we don't think of the engines as being reliable because
the vans themselves are so well built?  I've never owned an American vehicle
that went over 120K without it falling apart to the point that, if the
mechanicals had problems, the condition of the body was such that it was not
worth doing the mechanical repairs.

My Westy has 375K on it, and it is still worth putting $ into repairing and
keeping roadworthy.

Karl Wolz

I agree with Karl.  I have had several Vanagons come through here with over
150k miles and some even over 200k miles.  They were all still relatively
tight vehicles as far as rattles in the interior, and the interior wore
really well (interior still in nice shape).
      My parents have a Dodge 16 passenger van.  Bought it new in '86.  Has
had many problems with ignition system (replace hall sender and ignition
module every two years since 86), has had certain fit and finish issues and
mechanical issues ever since it was new (like clunking into reverse, and the
rear making noises).  It has some expensive parts on it like two pollution
pumps which were something like $250 each dealer item (both have been
replaced).  Now at 120k miles it is basically falling apart inside and the
paint has all come off of the roof on the outside (Dodge started fixing this
bad paint problem right after our warranty ran out so we didn't get in on
it).  All of this had one very good side effect.  My father, who used to be a
Chrysler man (bought a new Chrysler sports car every other year in the 60s)
became a VW man.  The rest is history :)

Thanks,
Ken Wilford
Van-Again
John 3:16