In a message dated 1/26/01 10:43:57 AM Eastern Standard Time,
dgalcock@HEWITT.COM writes:

,

    I'm hoping someone has a parts van that they'd be willing to take a
small
body clip out of for me. A would-be thief tried to open my Westy with a pry
bar
and trashed the sheetmetal around the lock in the rear hatch. Is there
anyone
out there who could cut a (say 5") square of the body metal around the lock
hole
so I can weld this piece into my van. I

why would you want to go thru all that trouble!!???   just replace the whole
hatch..  i actually just sold a rear hatch to a lister a few months ago just
because he needed the glass.  he probably just threw the hatch away after he
removed the glass from it.
these are cheep to find at junkyards..
any rear hatch off of any vanagon will work, but the latches are diff from
'80-'83.5, then '84-91.  if you dont mind using the latch off the donor
hatch, then any hatch will work.   the only diff of the 88-'91 hatches is
that they have the embossed area for the vw symbol.
chris