2 bolts, 1 hose, one pressure fitting. Hardest part is usually bleeding it. Get the new one and look under the steering column. 1/2 hour job at most.

Dennis.

BTW, Use good quality Brake fluid (DOT-4).

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, February 01, 2001 3:21 PM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: Time/effort to replace clutch master cylinder?

Our '86 Westy has a leaky clutch master cylinder.  Bentley doesn't say much about the
procedure.  Before I decide to do it myself or take it to the local shop, can anybody
give me a rough idea of the time it would take?  It's not too obvious from poking
around (i.e. without removing some stuff first)--don't need a step-by-step, just a general
idea of time requirement.  Is special bleeding equipment necessary?

thanks,

Steve