Glass business is a FUNNY business..
I worked as an appraiser for years. "we" got 75% off the NAGS list price and
a few buck for a "kit", and they would come out to the customers home or
business to install it!. I ran into a new guy one day (actually a old guy
that had gone out on his own) He asked me what we were "getting" and I quoted
the above numbers. He gave a sly grin and asked about my supervisor by name.
"Is Gerry still there? I ought to give him a call, I think we can beat that.."
I just looked at him..."You guys are paying $15 a piece for those
windshields, aren't ya?"
He just SMILED
I live really close to the SafeLite manufacturing plant. The local junkyard
has a driver stop by on his way out and drop off that days windshields. they
charge ME $90 for a bus and $100 for a vanagon. Shops pay less...
I've watched them break one when installing it and not even say "damn!"..just
haul it to the trash and grab another one!
SO figure that the $125 place pays $30 for the actual glass....takes, oh,15
minutes to fit it, and 15 to do the paperwork..THAT'S why there are 12 pages
of glass shops in the phone book!