Thanks for very useful info
Leon
85 Subwagen Westy

Cory Zumbrennen wrote:

I am answering my own question in the interest of the archives. In order to pressure bleed the brakes and clutch using my air compressor I bought a very nice adapter from Assenmacher Tools www.asttool.com . It threads on to all VW hydraulic fluid reservoirs, and allows a standard air hose fitting to be attached.  It was $32.  I bought a bunch of other misc. air hose stuff including an air pressure regulator($16).  So now I can connect the bleeder to the air compressor at 2-2.5 bar as per Bentley and bleed the hydraulics.  The procedure on this is to remove all the old fluid from the reservoir and put new fluid in, then attach the bleeder.  Bleed the brakes/clutch and top off the reservoir.  Bled my clutch in minutes:-) I also bought a generic VW coolant cap from Autozone (looks just like a standard Vanagon cap, it was even blue) for $6.   Then I used a 1/4" drill bit to drill the cap out in order to bypass the valving.  Then I attached an air hose to the stem of the radiator cap and a fitting to attach it to the air pressure regulator.  This allows me to put any amount of presuure (never more than 30psi) to the cooling system to check for leaks. Works like a charm:-) Cory'90 Syncro Westy