From: Schmidt
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM =
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2001 = 2:48 PM
Subject: SUV was road = rage

It is  chic to be against every SUV on the = road these days, especially if you drive a vanagon. You are even cooler if you = talk about the "mentality" and the testosterone high, the mpg, etc. For some = these vehicles make sense. My Suburban hauls my four kids, wife, groceries, = toys, car seats, and what-nots every time we turn the key. It does so dependably.  It does so safely. It goes anywhere in any weather.
    Sure, my outback AWD did the = same thing when we were a family of four. It was small, trendy, chic, and granola = enough that we did not have complete strangers harassing us for owning one.
I own a Suburban for some of the same reasons as I = own my vanagon westy 6 passenger.  It comfortably seats my family and = hauls "family stuff."   I also own a suburban BECAUSE I own old vw = vans.  It tows or pushes anything anywhere. Towing and pushing is = inevitable when you insist on owning "cool" vehicles like busses.
Hopefully my wife does not get too big of a = testosterone boost when she takes the kids to school.  Hopefully the vanagon = owners she passes don't secretly despise her for driving the suburban.  = Even if they do, she or I will still stop when you need a tow, jump, push, or = just moral support. Sorry for the minimal VC in this post.
Jay Schmidt
97 Suburban 4X4
90 Buick Full size Brady wagen with third = seat
84 westy 6 passenger
77 westy deluxe-garaged...seats only = four
71 highroof camper lawn-ornament/ = playhouse
70 wife
93 girl
96 boy
98 girl
'00 boy
No apologies- the vanagon does NOT get better = mileage than the 'burban!