I need some advice.  My drivers side brake caliper piston will = not release.  The brakes stop the van, but afterward the caliper piston = remains tight.  After driving down the road the wheel is hot.

I have removed the wheel, taken out the lower retaining bolt, and = with great difficulty pried up the housing.  I removed the pads which = look to be about 1/2 worn.  I then used a "C" clamp to push the piston back in = a ways, and then I reassembled it all.  At that point the unit slides back = and forth on the guide pins as it should, so it is not binding there.  = But after I applied the brakes I could, with a pipe = wrench, just barely turn the rotor.

Is this a caliper problem?  Can they be rebuilt?  I see = is Bentley that you can blow out the piston, but then what?  Do you = hone the unit?

Appreciate any advice you may have.

William
86 Vanagon GL  (275K)