Hey, it really makes you upset with auto manufacturers that they couldn't
take some type of initiative themselves to bring about reduced emissions.
They had to be forced to do it by the US government and they fought it all
the way.  A really good side effect besides cleaner air was:

Fuel injection standard on all cars.- (VW was already moving this way, but
the big three still had carbs and "throttle body" injection as long as they
could possibly get away with it (mid 80s)).

This has helped move the internal combustion engine to new levels of
reliabilty and efficiency that would never have been possible with the good
old "carburator".  People who still feel that carburators are better and more
reliable are like people who don't like computers.  It is not because it is
true, just what you are used to versus what is actually better.  We now have
cars that get 70 miles per gallon and emit virtually no emissions at all and
go 100k miles between tune ups.  If you have a problem, the onboard computer
either adjusts to fix small problems or allows a mechanic to find the problem
with ease (OBDII).  We are living in the golden era of the Internal
Combustion Engine.  It has served us well for 100 years.  I'll be sad to see
it go (just as the carb folks were sad to see them go).

Thanks,
Ken Wilford
John 3:16
www.vanagain.com