In a message dated 2/22/2= 001 10:36:30 AM Eastern Standard Time,
LISTSERV@GERRY.VANAGON.COM writes:

Heads are off; now what? &n= bsp;

   (1)    Once I pull the pis= tons and sleeves, how the heck do I get them
back

together?  = ;I looked at Bently, and it indicates I need some specialized
tools to attach the circlips through a small hole in the side of the wat= er
jacket (if I'm reading this correctly).  Looks like a major PITA.I = know I
can install the pistons through the BACK (internal) side of the sleeves = by
using hose clamps as ring compressors, but I recall reading posts indica= ting
that this isn't exactly a piece of cake either.

      Karl, PITA is putting it mildly. &n= bsp;Go easy and you'll get there though.
 Yes, you must go through the waterpipe connection hole to remove t= he piston
pins.  The circlips can be reached from the sides of the pistons. &= nbsp;Use rags
to block the case opening to the crank so the circlip does not go there = when
it flies away from your control over it.
      To put the pistons back in the cyli= nders you got two choices.  Put the
pistons in the cylinders leaving the piston pin hole exposed, then put t= he
pistons on the rods and very carefully install the circlips.  OR, p= ut the
pistons on the rods then install the cylinders with a piston ring compre= ssor
like the one from Princess Auto, part #2915213.
      Good luck !

Cheers

Frank Condelli
Almonte, Ontario, Canada
'87 Westy & Lionel Trains
Member: Vanagon List, LiMBO, IWCCC & Capital City VW Club
Vanagon/Vanagon Westfalia Service in the Ottawa Valley
STEBRO/Vanagon Stain= less Steel Mufflers
Frank Condelli &a= mp; Associates or http://frankcondelli.com