Sorry if this is too obvious, but is a = battery terminal contacting the metal battery case?

----- Original Message -----
From: Don = Hundt
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Saturday, February 24, = 2001 7:25 AM
Subject: bizarre electrical = problem (kinda urgent)

Hi all,
I have an 82 diesel (converted to 83 = gti) with a strange problem. when I tried to start it this morning,it turned over = normally for a moment, then stopped. next attempt I got a click click click = click from the back, then all of a sudden nothing worked. No lights, no radio, = etc. I tried turning it over again, very weak glow from idiot lights. waited = a few seconds, tried again, Click, nothing, a repeat of the first