From: Mark Ingalls
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM =
Sent: Wednesday, February 21, = 2001 4:12 PM
Subject: Re: [vanagon] more = hoses to leak

When I replaced the hoses on my 85GL, = I replaced the T for the rear heater with a T with all 3 ends the same size. Then = the standard size heater hose fits. I think VW had it smaller going to the = rear heater so enough coolant would be forced to the front heater to make = it warm too.There is supposed to be a = restrictor at the rear heater also, but I don't know where mine went to. I thought I put = the restictor back in, I hope it didn't come loose and is floating around = the cooling system somewhere........with the smaller T size VW used maybe = the restrictor piece wouldn't have come loose? I don't know if the restrictor piece is small enough to get past the T = that I put in, might be something to check if you go this way. I have my rear = heater throttled at the control valve so not all the coolant flow goes to the = rear.
Also I just replaced my rear heater = yesterday with a $95 one from Rocky Mountain Motor Works (because I had a $60 = credit there and their parts have a lifetime Warranty, which for the rear = heater core might come in handy).  As list member David Beierl says "the rear = heater keeps the cabin warm and the front heater keeps your toes warm." The = Van is much warmer now with the rear heater back in service. Boy it's been a = long winter in the midwest this year.

Mark Ingalls