In a message dated 2/26/01 7:53:31 PM Eastern Standard Time, jbrush@AROS.NET
writes:

Mine is a 1981 air cooled, this one is an 85 waterbox. I would keep my own
speedo, but I would sure like the tach if it would work. Is it likely to
just be a standard electrical tach? In the world of small block chevies,
we just attach the tach to the coil. Is that the way that this one would
attach?  I cannot recall where the gas gauge is located, but its all by
itself on my panel. One an 85, does it appear there as well, and the tach
just sits over it? Guess I should have looked a little harder

I might get the dash panel, or I might see if he would just give up the

yes, you can put a later model tach in any vanagon. just take multipoint
connector from donor van with you to see how to switch the wires, and run a
wire from coil to appropriate terminal on connector.
chris