I drive through a creek everyday and with my 1983 = watercooled Westphalia it doesn't take very much water splashing up to make the = engine almost shut off and/or miss badly.  Often I will make it across on = inertia alone and sit half in/half out of the water on the far side letting the = engine idle and dry up the
wet/missfiring area.  Sometimes it takes five = minutes and then the engine will slowly pick up power as seemingly one cylinder = after another starts firing.

I'd like to ask for some suggestions: I'm sure there = is one component, probably fuel injection, that is getting wet and then drying off.  I want to locate it and then try to waterproof it.  I'm = guessing it's on the left side of the engine, but I haven't figured out what it is.

The engine usually doesn't shut off in the creek, = but if it does, it will usually start up fairly quickly, but then have very little = power until the wet part dries off.  It's hard to tell if it is shutting = off a few cylinders or just an overall grounding of a component.

Any ideas...any creek dwellers out = there?

John