Hello all,
I've been looking into buying a westy = for some time now, and about the only difficulty I've had in my quest = is the rarity of these things in the NJ/NY area. I've managed to locate = an 85 with 20k on a rebuilt engine and new transmission and no rust = (obviously not a local van). However, there are a few issues that it = has: a cracked windshield, rich emissions, wrong tires, possibly leaky = steering rack, dented bumpers and generally unkempt interior / exterior = cosmetics, but nothing I couldn't handle myself or that seemed like a = pricey fix. I think I can get it in the mid $3k range, but the only = thing that's stopping me is the fact that there is no AC, and that fact = that I had originally wanted a synchro. There was an 86 Westy Synchro = that was described as being loaded, in very good condition and being = sold in NJ for only $6500, but alas I was too late because I hesitated = and someone else snatched her up.

So, my question to all of you, = especially to those who have owned both 2wd and synchro is, should I = hold out for another synchro, or jump on the 85 (which I think is a = great deal considering the mechanicals). I don't know how much off road = driving I would be doing with two kids, and even as a snow vehicle, is = the synchro worth the extra purchase price / maintenance / repair = cost?

Also, if I decide to pursue the 85, I = will be doing a compression test regardless of what the owner's = receipts say. Does any one know what range is acceptable compression = for the 1.9?

Regards,
Vince Pernice

=