I seem to have a charging problem in my = Westy.  I have two batteries without an isolator installed and I = think that may be putting unnecessary wear on them, but I don't think that's my = main problem.  My batteries are always dead.  Well, not always, but = say I drive with my lights on and maybe my portable CD player on, you can bet = the next time I try to start my van it will not have enough power to start.  = Also, if I leave my van for a few days and try to start it, good luck.  I = think the lights for the battery and water level take a little bit of power = over the course of a few days, but if the batteries were being charged right the = little insignificant lights shouldn't matter, right?  Also, last year I = replaced both batteries so they're only a year old.  Well, my first guess is = my alternator isn't putting out enough juice (and it's really a guess = because I don't know the first thing about any of this).  Can anyone tell = me if there's a simple way to test the output of the alternator without having = to take it out and take it to a mechanic.  Can't I just test some wires = while the van's running?  Any advice would be appreciated as I really am = starting from scratch on this.

Thanks in advace.
Danny
'81 = Westy