In a message dated 3/14/01 8:06:32 PM Eastern Standard Time, flubach@HOME.COM
writes:

I have a little situation that I am having a hard time figuring out.  When I
bought my van, I was told it is an 85.  The vin number brings and an 85 as
well, however it is a L series and on the drivers door it reads that it is
an 81.  ARGH!  How do I know for sure??

ok. first of all, the person who sold you your van was a moron.  that aside -
being that your van is a "L" and the sticker says its an '81, well,
then...its prolly most likely without a doubt a.............'81.   there were
no vanagon "L"s in '85.
it's aircooled, right? single grille up front?

if the VIN comes up as a '85, then, someone switched the VIN on your van.
why?  could be stolen.
i'd go back to where you bough it and demand some answers..
chris