When your tranni is accessible(engine off)  just pull out torque converter and behind it is the seal. Pull it out with screwdriver carefuly and install new one.
Leon
85 Subwagen Westy

JarsofClay wrote:

help with my '84 water cooled vanagon (auto trans) .... I am experiencing a trans fluid leak and need to replace torque converter seal... I would like to do this myself, but am in need of a manual (Bentley)... is there anyone who would scan off the proper pages and e-mail them to me... I would be greatly appreciative and save a chunk of change...may reply to jarsofclay@ameritech.net   thanks