Steve, here is what my experience has been with this section of hose.  I have
decided that the best course of action is to remove the plastic fuel line
junction at the firewall.  I cannot see any reason for it's exsistence.  The
other fuel hose passes through the firewall as a hose so why shouldn't this
hose?  Also this plastic piece grows brittle with age and can break and
possibly cause fire hazard all on it's own.

What I do is leave the van on a level position.  Reach behind the firewall
and get to the crimp where the fuel hose meets the plastic line.  Cut this
crimp with a pair of cutting pliers.  Remove the plastic fitting from the
fire wall (destroy it in pulling it out, you don't want this thing to live
any longer as it is evil).  Now just put the new fuel line between the "T"
fitting and the plastic line and clamp both ends.  I would put a piece of
rubber or plastic around the hose as it goes through the firewall to protect
it from any chafing, but that is about it.  I will be sending your fuel line
kit out today.  Let me know how you make out.

Thanks,
Ken Wilford
Van-Again
John 3:16