I will be the first to admit that I don't know everything.  And I can see the
point that the other parts of the steering column would push in, no matter
what the bolts were doing.  However I fail to see how dropping the steering
column down away from the dash is going to help anyone steal the car.  What
am I missing.  I know the way to easily and quickly get a van that I don't
have a key for, to start, run and drive without playing with any wiring or
even destroying anything and it doesn't require you to drop the column.
Please help me understand why you would want to drop the column to steal the
vehicle.

Thanks,
Ken Wilford
Van-Again