What is an "idle up" valve?

Looking over a CIS-E system (O2 box, no knock sensor box that = the GTI/GLI/16V has) there is nothing attached to a AC module to control the = idle like there is in the Digifant and Motronic systems.  You are also = right, a idle stabilizer valve is a function of CIS-E.  There is the idle stabilizer which is controlled by the O2 computer and the idle = stabilizer relay that gets a pulsed signal from the tachometer signal.  If you turn = the AC on or any other load it will simply allow more air to by-pass the valve = and the idle will remain the same.  I have omitted the idle stabilizer = valve for customers who can't afford the big price tag for a new one.  I = replaced it with the warm up valve from the CIS system and adjusted the idle for a = nice 900RPM.

From the sounds of things I really don't think you have a CIS-E system.  = I think you have a CIS-Lambda system.  There are a few quick ways to tell = by looking at your fuel distributor.  What color is it black or shiny = silver - if it is silver it is CIS-E, also is there one or two electrical = connections to it?  If there is two it is CIS-E.

If there is an idle stabilizer - don't worry about it.  If it is doing = it's job the idle will remain the same when the AC is on.

If you have a CIS-Lambda system.  I have some diagrams here that will help = you set it up.

David Marshall

Fast Forward Autobahn Sport Tuning
4356 Quesnel Hixon Road
Quesnel BC Canada  V2J = 6Z3
mailto:info@fastforward.ca &= nbsp;    http://www.fastforward.ca &n= bsp;
Phone: (250) 992 7775           = FAX: (250) 992 1160

• Vanagon Accessories and Engine = Conversions
• Transporter, Unimog and Iltis Sales
• European Lighting for = most Audi and Volkswagen models

-----Original Message-----
From: emz [mailto:VW4X4@FYI.NET]
Sent: March 21, 2001 7:55 = AM
To: VW Syncro mailing list
Cc: = vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com
Subject: [Syncro] Wiring for CIS-E F.I. in Vanagon

  =
OK, here's one for the record books. I'm getting = down to the wire (no pun intended)
on the = installation of my 1.8L inline VW engine, in to my SS Syncro. I have one item left to
figure out where it gets wired = in. The Idle up solenoid valves. There were two in the VW
Fox system, one been used obviously for the AC . = The problem is I need to establish what controlled the
second valve.  Now this is interesting. I = can't seem to find  a wiring diagram that shows the CIS-E system running this = valve. The Wiring diagrams I have showing  the CIS-E Systems all have a = idle stabilizer valve.
This valve (the = idle up solenoid valve) came with the Fox motor. It is the same solenoid = valve
that is used on the CIS system with a O2 = sensor. A simple valve. I have the wiring diagrams for several Golf , Jetta, Fox = CIS-E fuel injection systems. They all show a idle stabilizer. Anyone have any
info. on its wiring? I must = be missing something here? Any info. would be appreciated

           &nb= sp;           &nbs= p;            = ;            =             Eric
           &nb= sp;           &nbs= p;            = ;   http://www.fyi.net/~vw4x4/swa= p.htm
If you would like to modify your subscription settings = (including unsubscribing), visit: