Wouldn't late model springs be a good = low buck alterntative? Some of the later factory springs are supposed to be 30 mm = shorter with the same or slightly improved handeling. You can also use factory = shocks. I would think they'd be easy to find, and relatively cheap.

Chopping, cutting etc. will ruin any = handleing the van has.

Matt
----- Original Message -----
From: Gary Stearns
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM =
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2001 = 7:21 AM
Subject: Re: Lowering the = vanagon

If you look at the design of the rear = springs, you'll see that you really can't cut coils without ruining the = spring's ability to locate itself in the mounts.  Similar in the front, VW = made the springs so that the last coil on each end has a flattened pitch to = fit the mount.  I have tried cutting coils, you can't make it work.  = The only way if you are stuck on the butchering technique is heating and collapsing the coils.  You have to know how to do this, or you'll = wind up with great small boat anchors that look like springs.  I suggest = a set of the lowering springs available through one of the list vendors (stay = away from the H&R Springs though, poorly designed).  Finally, any = lowering is going to require upgraded shocks.  Stock or worn out shocks can't = handle it.  Riding a kangarooing Vanagon might be fun, but it's also = dangerous.

Gary