From my understanding and what I was told by the = locals the plant in Sarajevo only produced the VW Caddy or the Rabbit pick-up = as it was known over here.
There are a huge amount of VW's there most of = them were brought in to the country by returning "guest workers", people who had = worked abroad as laborers.
There is quiet the hand me down cycle in = Germany, as a vehicle becomes 5 or 6 yeas old it is sold off.
They are sold off to buyers from other eastern = European countries were the pollution and mechanical standards are = lower.
So the older it gets the farther east it goes = until it ends up in Russia.

I remember that the most prized car was the = Rabbit and Golf (MK2 if they were wealthy) diesel.
They really loved the durability an longevity of = these cars.
But they drove like madmen on the = roads.
The roads were often more dangerous than the fighting!
But the most dangerous job in the whole country = was as a fuel truck driver.
Diesel during the war sold for 200DM per liter!
It was in Sarajevo during the war that I first = heard of Bio-diesel.
I remember seeing these beat up old Rabbit = diesels running around and when they drove buy you, all you could smell was French fries!

If you liked older VW's Bosnia was the place to = find them.

Cheers
Glen
----- Original Message -----
From: Forhan, Thomas
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2001 = 7:39 AM
Subject: Re: [Syncro] Where is Poznan?

Poznan is in Poland. = Interesting.

When I was in Bosnia a couple of years ago, Vanagons were everywhere. Tons = of them, clearly the predominent light truck and van.

I asked, and it turned out VW had a Vanagon plant there too, before the = civil war. I saw a few Syncros , but not a lot, and of course they could = have been built elsewhere.

Tom F.