Hello everyone.  I'm new to the list and don't want to make = anyone mad, so I'll try and make this short:

I'm looking for a vehicle to transport my 125cc shifter kart (55" = wide rear width) and all my gear to the track without a trailer.  I think a = Vanagon will fit the bill since it isn't too large but holds a ton.  I've = always thought they were nice vehicles, and now I have a reason to possibly get = one.  I've been researching as much as I can before I buy, but = sometimes feedback from real people is better so I joined the list.  (I will = continue to search the archives, however.)  Some thoughts/questions of = mine:

1)  With the weight I'll be moving around, I'm concentrating = on 1986 2.1L and newer with a 4-speed, and no Synchros.  Good idea?

2)  Does the rear seat only fold flat in Vanagons with the = Weekender option?  I'll need this to use as a "load platform" for the kart, = so I'd like that capability.

3)  Cost is a major object, so I'm considering vans that need clutches, etc.  Is this a difficult job?  I've changed many = FWD car clutches in my time, so this won't be my first time with the = wrenches.  Anything to watch out for in the clutch area?

4)  I know that I need to look for head gasket problems.  = Anything else this rookie should look for?

5)  I live in Michigan - how prone to corrosion are these vehicles?

Thanks for any help you can offer to this = complete newbie!

Chris