hi list,
just wanted to post a message saying = that i had succesfully replaced my faulty heater blower motor.  now the fan = works peachy.  i ended up getting a replacement blower from a = pick-n-pull junkyard in newark, ca, for about $19 including core deposit.  = pulled one off of an 84 (my vanagon is an 85) and it seems to be pretty much = identical blower unit, works fine.  also, i got a chance to practice the dash = removal again at the pick-n-pull on a junker, and the second time doing it it = was pretty effortless, from start to finish, blower motor sitting in my hand, it = took about 35 minutes.  pick-n-pulls are great, im definitely going to start = going more often, never know what your gonna find, could be that part you've = been thinking about mail ordering for $60 and you find one for $10!  = anyhow, thanks for all who responded to my posts for help during the job ...
-steve and = buster