After rebuilding a 2.1, I torqued the = heads on by the book with a new German gasket set. The engine ran good and did not = leak. After running the engine only a few miles I put the Vanagon away for a = few days planning to button things up when I had time. In two days I happened to = notice the passenger side head was starting to leak coolant. I looked at the = gasket on the top of  the head on the front corner and the gasket was pushed = out funny. I took the head off and the new rubber gasket had a diagonal = split about 3/4 inch long that cut the sealing face of the gasket in two. Has this = happened to anyone else or did I just get a bad gasket? The heads are the = original heads that came off of the engine. Any ideas?  The gaskets had the VW = mark on them so I assume they are OEM.
Thanks,  Todd = Francis

Todd

this has happened to me also I have seen gaskets split both on the = top and the bottom I think that this occurs as the head is installed = one reason is that the push rod tubes press against the head and = because of this the head is at an angle when the  head nut is tightened = to bring the head into place against the gasket this might create a side load on = the gasket and start to tare the gasket and the pressure of the cooling = system finishes it off in just a short time

to prevent this problem I deburr the sharp of the case where the = rubber gasket sits with a file after I repair the gasket suface with JB weld. I = also use the a little silicone as a lube in both the channel of the = gasket and the head sealing surface. the only other thing I do that could help is = to wiggle the head as I bring the head down into place and my hope is that this = unloads any side pressure on the rubber gasket

Bob Donalds

http://www.bostonengine.com<= A href="http://www.bostonengine">

as always all rights reserved