From: Vanagon Mailing = List [mailto:vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com]On Behalf Of Robert Lilley
Sent: April 2, 2001 4:43 PM
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Subject: : Re: = Power...Power...Power... Can be found in the WBX...Counter-weighting

<<While I am well aware = that a VW boxer will happily rev to 8000rpm (my
57with 1600 & original split-case trans would do this in 3rd no problems
onlevel roads), = think of what it's doing to the crank and other rotary &
reciprocating internals. The crank has effectively only 3 main-bearings,and
each = pair (1-2, 3-4) of rods is on an unsupported and flexing sectionof =
crankshaft. You'll be flogging out the mains and big-ends, putting =
sideloadings on the rods & pistons/bores and the crank is liable to =
eventuallybreak between these unsupported big-ends.>>>

TRUE, in = stock form, a 1600 it would self destruct BUT:

The WBX is far from a = warmed over 1600...

COUNTER-WEIGHTING and A BALANCING = job...PLUS the right parts can make it
live...

THAT is the purpose of = ADDING counterweights, full race balancing and
BUILDING it to go that = high and live, plus normally you do not take it that
high and keep it = there...

The accessories become the limiting factor when going past the = WBX 6000 red
line anyway.  I do not take it that high and = "MOST" Vanagon owners do not
want power where they do not drive. =  I find I do not have to take it past
~4000 in daily driving, except to = get on a freeway, otherwise I would be
running into the rear of many cars = in front during traffic.

Plus how are the other engines during SLOW = traffic?  I can take my engine
down to smooth ~1500 with no lugging = and pull up to smooth 5000 rpms.

Lets not get caught up in the "my = engine is bigger than your engine" and look
for real solutions to the = problem.  While converting is for some, others just
want to make what = they have better.

The whole point of what I did, along with others, = was to take the engine that
came in the U.S. (and others that are = similar) Vanagons and address the
problems to make it better, to focus on = fixing the problems making it better,
fixing common problems to the = engine long block, in order to make it stronger
and last longer...For those = that do not want to swap...

Robert
"Lilley 2"
in = development
"You can have a Lilley 2"