Dear List,

Recently bought an '86 Westy that I'm = doing lots of work on in
preparation for a year of = traveling.

I have most of the service = records.  They show that, in 1991,
the van was taken in with classic 3rd = gear lockup problem,
and the VW dealer replaced broken 3rd = and 4th gear parts.
That was at 70,000 miles, the van now = has 180,000 on it.

My question:  How likely is it = that I got the "new and improved"
parts?  Is there is any chance of = this tranny going out in the next
40,000 or so?  If so, I'm going to = replace it while I'm putting
in my new Boston Bob = engine.

Have VW receipt with part numbers, if = that helps.  Any advice
much appreciated!

Steve