Hi Volks,
    We have an 85 Westy with a rebuilt 2.1 L engine.  The AC broke right
after we bought it, nearly three years ago. The latest diagnosis is that we
definitly need a new receiver/dryer ($400) and only after that is installed
will they be able to tell if I also need a new compressor.
    We are doing just fine without AC so far.  We sure would like to use
that overhead compartment for storage, and I bet removing the entire shebang
would make the van lighter, right? I am seriously considering asking our
mechanic to remove the entire thing.  Am I nuts?  We don't ever plan on
selling this camper. Has anyone done this?  Any things we need to consider
here?
    We also would like to get rid of the entire rear heater so we could free
up some more space in the bench storage area.  It has already been
disconnected or bypassed due to coolant leak, and we don't miss it at all.
Can the whole thing be removed?
    In case you're wondering where we live that is never too hot or too
cold, it's the Southeast, where we go to the mountains in the summer and the
beach during the other three seasons.

Thanks for your collective wisdom.
Vicki