Go to www.vanagain.com.  You can = pick up a receiver/dryer for $60.00

Paul Borghese
----- Original Message -----
From: Vicki = Derrer
Newsgroups: = groupstudy.vanagon
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2001 = 6:24 PM
Subject: Should I Remove My AC Entirely?

Hi Volks,
    We have an 85 Westy with a rebuilt 2.1 L = engine.  The AC broke right
after we bought it, nearly three years = ago. The latest diagnosis is that we
definitly need a new receiver/dryer = ($400) and only after that is installed
will they be able to tell if I also = need a new compressor.
    We are doing just fine = without AC so far.  We sure would like to use
that overhead compartment = for storage, and I bet removing the entire shebang
would make the van = lighter, right? I am seriously considering asking our
mechanic to remove = the entire thing.  Am I nuts?  We don't ever plan on
selling this = camper. Has anyone done this?  Any things we need to consider
here?
    We also would like to get rid of the = entire rear heater so we could free
up some more space in the bench storage = area.  It has already been
disconnected or bypassed due to coolant = leak, and we don't miss it at all.
Can the whole thing be = removed?
    In case you're wondering where we live = that is never too hot or too
cold, it's the Southeast, where we go to the mountains in the summer and the
beach during the other three = seasons.

Thanks for your collective wisdom.
Vicki