----- Original Message -----
From: Zoltan
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM =
Sent: Saturday, April 07, 2001 7:04 AM
Subject: DRY first cylinder

Hi all engine knowers.
I have just taken a 1.9 L apart and I = noticed, as I took off the valve cover that there was no oil in the area = there.
This engine had no compression on the = first cylinder and also started to knock.
After taking off the cylinder head, I = noticed that #1 had heavy wear on the lining.
Also all spark plugs were very heavily = loaded with black deposits.
I did not yet taken the liners out, or = the pistons.
What is the reason for the apparent = lack of oil in the area?
What could have caused the failure in = the first cylinder?
Why so much soot on all the = plugs?
What do I need to check, test and = do?
The compressions are 165 all other = three, #1 was 45.
Would any of you know about = this?
I would certainly highly = appreciate the help now, the engine is on the "operating table".

Zoltan
Happy Easter weekend for = all.
Today I look forward to a = great finish of the Masters.