Same thing here.  I have bought several nice computers and laptops.  My
strategy is to wait untill the last hour of the auction, that way if the
price is still low it has a good chance of staying that way.  Then just put
in your maximum bid and let ebay to the proxy bidding for you.  The last
couple of bids I did, I thought for sure that the prices would go much higher
during some last minute bidding, however my "low-ball" bids were the final
bid of the auction and I got the computers for much cheaper than I expected.
I have also had good experiences with buying computers from "companies" that
have lots of things up for auction rather than individual people.

Vanagon- (had to get some content in since it ain't Friday yet :- ).

Just FYI,
Ken Wilford
John 3:16
www.vanagain.com