The only backfiring/misfiring issue I = ever had with my 84 was traced back to a bad cheap Non OEM distributor cap that was = cracked and arcing. Check it out!

JGS
----- Original Message -----
From: John = Mahnken
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: Friday, April 20, 2001 = 12:00 PM
Subject: Re: 84 rough running,backfire

Hello,

       I've got a rough = running 84 Westy that I can't seem to figure out. It
was running
fine = until the other day when it pretty much suddenly lost power.It feels
like = it's running on 2 cylinders sometimes and it backfires on =
deceleration.It also seems to
run hot now.Before this happened,I had changed out my = Hall effect sensor and
my
Hall control module.Van was running well after = these changes for about a
week,then
while driving one day,it started = to lose power and wouldn't accelerate.Then
it started backfiring on decel = and the temp guage started to climb.
   Any help on this = matter would be deeply appreciated.I miss my van as it's
now =
undrivable. Anybody have any ideas on this? =

           = ;        TIA, =

          John = Mahnken =
          84 Westy =
          69 GTO conv