Tom,

Following is the pertinent section = of the reply to your inquiry, saying, essentially not that it is technically = not feasable, but rather that it's not worth it, because 1. too restrictive = or 2. that the word would get out and the rule defeated.

I don't think that either of these = points are valid for a list such as this, if a simple inclusion rule were adopted (I = concur that the banned word approach is difficult or useless).

1. First of all, despite the fairly = large number of VW models and options we enjoy, they are ALL the specific = "Vanagon", not the generic "car" or "van" (i.e. the specific "chrysthantemums" as = opposed to the generic "flower" or "plant").

2. Second, the danger that the rule = would be defeated by spammers is an unlikely scenario:  spammers like to = sent a standardized E-Mail message to as many million addresses as they can = find. They are not in the business of customizing they're spam anymore than necessary. They won't be including "Vanagon" in their text = either, despite the inherent sexyness of that particular vehicle.

The inclusion rule could be = "defeated" by legit interested third parties looking for our usual advice in a = friendly, OPEN list, as aggravating as some of the stupid questions and postings can be. The benefit of the simple inclusion list rule would be to force = the outsiders to read the rules, as pointed out in Ron's "Great Solution for = Spamless Open List!!"  posting.  If they realy want to post to = the list, they will have to do their homework.

If it were to become a very simple = universal rule, we could all adopt the habit of signing with a reference to our beloved = bricks and the vast majority of the vile cybernetic luncheon meat (the canned = type is fine), would be out in never never cyberspace where it belongs. It = might be a hasstle for list members at first, but I'd rather get used to a simple = rule than to endure the #/£~¢%¤* (expletive) were getting so much of = these days.

I vote OPEN with simple inclusion = rule.

JGS

> Conversely, It would also be = interesting to only allow posts that did
> contain a certain word someplace in = the message..so if I had a list about
> flowers, I would only allow = posts that contain the word "flower" to be
> distributed. That way, I could proactively help the list stay on topic. :)
>

> Hmm.. so my 5-paragraph posting regarding blossoms, = chrysthantemums, dahlias,
blooms, and petals would be rejected?

> Anyhow - the nature of the filter would become common knowledge = very quickly,
and anybody who wanted to post an off-topic message = regarding "purple pigs"
would simply make them "purple pigs with a gratuitous = flower reference
crammed into an anatomically improbable orifice".

> Good generals pick their = battles.  This is one you can't win, so avoid
having it if you = can....