----- Original Message -----
From: Jeff Birk
To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM
Sent: 4/18/01 6:53:22 AM
Subject: Re: S&S Exhaust installation problem

>I have really screwed up on this cause the setup is insanely loud.

   yeah, I had the same problem, turned out the flanges on the pipes that
   connect to the head were out of angle never allowing the flange to seal
   with the head.

>I guess I gotta take it all apart, put the metal gaskets in, metal side to
>manifold....

   when i took mine apart, I sent it back...still waiting for some
   resolution

>I need a drink, I just spent 4 hours doing that, and now I gotta take it
>all back apart.

   a drink helps but so does a crow bar...hope you bought it from a
   reputable source OTHER than S&S as their customer service is
   non-exhistent...I am at 12 months waiting for a resolution on a
   merchandise return.

I was seriously considering an S&S exhaust system to compliment my new engine, but have heard more than a few negative comments about their systems- from poor fit to non-existent customer service. And yet if you got their site, they [S&S] claim to be one of the leaders in the [hot rod] world of exhaust technology. What's the story here? Anyone else have a comment (good or bad) about these exhaust systems? Guess I'll stick with OEM.

BTW- I will soon (<1 month) have available a 2.1L engine longblock (112k original miles) from my van when my new engine is ready, assuming all goes well. It has zero leaks, and 120~140psi compression, and I'll even throw in a 1.9L distributor and exhaust pipes less cat and muff. Great running engine that has already taken me on 2k+ miles of flawless adventures since buying the van in early March. I'm in the San Diego, CA. area if anyone is interested.
Regards, Michael Ramer, '87 Westy (no name assigned...yet)
--- ramerm@earthlink.net
--- EarthLink: It's your Internet.