My '85 Vanagon has been idling rough for a few weeks = now.  I found the problem being a bad spark plug wire (resistance = was infinite).  I replaced the spark plug wire, and replaced the old = worn-out Bosch spark plugs with new Bosch Platinum plugs.  It = seemed to me the engine was idling a little rougher then if I would have just kept = the older plugs in, but it might have been my imagination.

I then adjusted the timing and took it out for a = spin.  The problem I am having is there seems to be no power at the lower = speeds and the Van is definitely getting hotter then normal when at an = idle.

So I have two theories.  The first is I am = doing something wrong with the timing.  The second is the spark plugs are = problematic.

The timing on the van is really weird.  If I = set it to the correct timing, the car idles poor and requires the use of the idle stabilizer.  If I adjust to more before TDC then recommended, the = car idles much smoother and can maintain 850 RPM even without the use of the idle stabilizer.

So what do you guys think.  Should I adjust the = idle to be more BTDC for the ride home, or do you think I need to replace the = spark plugs?  Or some other problem?

Thanks!

Paul Borghese